[concurrency-interest] volatile acrobacy

Jeff Hain jeffhain at rocketmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:07:47 EST 2013

>But my understanding is that lazySet() was designed to isolate
>you from this sort of ugliness (and a few others).

So to summarize (correct me if I'm wrong), even though JMM
(currently) gives no guarantee about it, (1,0) can't happen
unless of a bug in the JVM, OS or hardware.

Is it safe (and future-proof) for developpers to rely on this
"volatile transitivity", or is it just a unofficial and possibly
only temporary guard against concurrency bugs and should not
be relied on?

-Jeff