[concurrency-interest] Stupid Question

javamann at cox.net javamann at cox.net
Tue Feb 12 16:12:59 EST 2013

Thanks, this is why I really like this list.

-Pete

---- Nathan Reynolds <nathan.reynolds at oracle.com> wrote:

this.lock is a memory indirection (i.e. dereferences "this" to get the
value in "lock") and could incur a cache miss (i.e. loads
ArrayBlockQueue into the L1 cache) or even worse false sharing.  By
copying to the local variable, the value is on the stack.  There won't
be any memory indirection to access the value.  Cache misses would only
happen if the thread context switched.  False sharing is impossible.

Nathan Reynolds
Architect | 602.333.9091