[concurrency-interest] Thread Allocation

Pete Haidinyak javamann at cox.net
Wed Feb 13 03:48:18 EST 2013

I have a question on how to allocate Threads. I am creating a SIEM which is a bunch of independent Java Services. The most likely use case is this will run on one 2U box. The box will have two quad core Xeon processors and 32G of RAM. Some of the Services will be I/O bound but some will be CPU bound.
   In one of the latest discussion it was mentions that you should allocate a Thread for each core (plus or minus a couple) for the best throughput. I have the ability to turn the Thread Pools after startup based on the number and types of Services running on the box.

My question is what would be the best way to allocate Threads when you have multiple processes competing for resources?

Thanks

-Pete