[concurrency-interest] Some interesting (confusing?) benchmark results

Holger Hoffstätte holger.hoffstaette at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:52:30 EST 2013

I have to eat my words, at least some ;)

On 13.02.2013 15:37, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> On 13.02.2013 15:21, √iktor Ҡlang wrote:
>> What's even more interesting is the the available processors can change
>> at runtime, making it extremely hard to do anything interesting with the
>> info.
>
> Well..see towards the end of [1]. However this approach is obviously
> useless for Java, so you'd have to do something internal, like register
> inotify callbacks on the /sys list or the like. Unfortunately that
> doesn't work either [2]. Things go downhill from there.

So at least (just as the Javadocs say) periodically polling
Runtime#availableProcessors() works fine - I just tried.

> All statically wired thread pools (hi FJ) also suffer from this.

This problem remains. Maybe the Runtime MBean could offer events so that
individual subsystems can subscribe to them, and up/downscale appropriately.

-h