[concurrency-interest] Using Atomic*FieldUpdater to remove indirection

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:15:13 EST 2013

I'd be more concerned with heap overhead of using AtomicXXX if it's
embedded in lots of objects (or embedded in classes with high allocation
rates).  For example, AtomicInteger will be 24 bytes for a payload of 4
bytes (nevermind requiring more GC time to mark and sweep these objects if
they get tenured).  The memory indirection cost may be minimal depending on
whether you hit cache or not.  Anyway, you can use Unsafe to replicate
AtomicXXX to remove overhead.

The second use case sounds OK - you have single writer multiple readers.
Your only possible concern there is whether other fields on the same cache
line are read independent of message time.  In other words, if message time
changes more frequently than the other data on the line, you'll get
unnecessary coherence hits for reading that other data.

Vitaly

Sent from my phone