[concurrency-interest] What is the eetop field on Thread for?

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Sun Jun 16 19:44:57 EDT 2013

The eetop field holds a reference to the VM's native thread for this Thread
object as a long. If you change it you will crash the VM most likely.

See javaClasses.cpp

JavaThread* java_lang_Thread::thread(oop java_thread) {
  return (JavaThread*)java_thread->address_field(_eetop_offset);
}

void java_lang_Thread::set_thread(oop java_thread, JavaThread* thread) {
  java_thread->address_field_put(_eetop_offset, (address)thread);
}

David