[concurrency-interest] JEP-159 Enhanced Class Redefinition vs Unsafe.___FieldOffset()

william.louth at jinspired.com william.louth at jinspired.com
Mon Jun 17 03:50:23 EDT 2013

The "small impact" mention in the proposal seems like an understatement to say the least.

With regard to field addition might I suggest that instead we look at the introduction of "twinned" class instances such that for any instance of class A I can obtain (with ease and speed) a "twinned" instance of class B (struct) which would hold the fields I would like added. An added benefit of this is that the twinned class would not need to be exposed (inadvertently) to other code access class A. Doing this without support within the JVM today results in far too much memory management work and relatively expensive hash lookups. I have not given my proposal much thought until this morning so apologies if I have over simplified the problem itself.

William