[concurrency-interest] is ConcurrentLinkedQueue is truely wait-free?

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Wed Jun 19 13:45:46 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Oleksandr Otenko <
oleksandr.otenko at oracle.com> wrote:

> If the queue is blocking, how can it be wait-free.
>
> If the queue is non-blocking, there must be a non-blocking alternative to
> (possibly even wait-free) failure to poll() or offer().
>
> I am not sure what a certain *-freedom gives you in this context.

If you're saying it doesn't matter much to the user whether poll() is
wait-free or lock-free, then I agree.  This is mostly of academic interest.
 Especially when java thread priorities generally don't work, and there's
no risk of priority inversion.