[concurrency-interest] Hardware for testing

Jan Kotek discus at kotek.net
Mon Jun 24 06:38:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

I need to test parallel computations (mostly fork-join) and I am looking for
hardware to use for testing. I want many cores and mainstream architecture. It
should be affordable.

So far I came with those options:

 -  rent a server on AWS or similar. But virtualization could render tests
useless. Also long-term price is not so good.

 - buy second-hand rack server. For example HP ProLiant with 4x6 core Opteron
is very cheap. Also old AMDs are probably best for testing since there is no
power management.

 - build machine from parts (2x12 core Opteron, dual socket EATX motherboard).
This would be basically standard desktop, expandable with DDR3 memory modules
and PCIe cards.

 - Parallella has 64 cores ARM CPU. But it may not run Java and probably has
strange architecture, so not rally an option for testing.

Any comments?

--
Thanks
Jan Kotek