[concurrency-interest] RRWL with 'bad' Thread.getId() implementations

Aleksey Shipilev aleksey.shipilev at oracle.com
Tue Jun 25 16:09:36 EDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 11:54 PM, Chris Dennis wrote:
> In a similar vein, the following code doesn't behave like you'd expect
> either (although it's arguable as to whether this is a reasonable way for
> RRWL to behave in this circumstance).  Note here that this is totally
> legal per the getId() contract, because the id doesn't get recycled until
> after the join returns.

Now that's a good example!

This highlights the potential problem in RRWL. The code should instead
throw the IllegalMonitorStateException in t2b.run(). I wonder what harm
is done if we disregard the comment there and store the reference to
Thread instead.

        /**
         * A counter for per-thread read hold counts.
         * Maintained as a ThreadLocal; cached in cachedHoldCounter
         */
        static final class HoldCounter {
            int count = 0;
            // Use id, not reference, to avoid garbage retention
            final long tid = Thread.currentThread().getId();
        }

        static final class ThreadLocalHoldCounter
            extends ThreadLocal<HoldCounter> {
            public HoldCounter initialValue() {
                return new HoldCounter();

I don't see the problem off-hand: if thread dies, so do the associated
ThreadLocalMap-s. RRWL does not reference the live
ThreadLocalHoldCounter when nobody is holding the read lock... What else
is missing?

-Aleksey.