[concurrency-interest] Fork and and timed get

Romain Colle rco at quartetfs.com
Thu Nov 28 10:24:31 EST 2013

Hi Doug and all,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> Well, it does meet spec in that it times out no earlier than required.

As far as I can tell, the javadoc for get(long, TimeUnit) reads: "Waits if
necessary for at most the given time for the computation to complete, and
then retrieves its result, if available. "
I would therefore expect it to return no later than when the given timeout
has expired.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> Yes. Given the documentation of FJ, people ought to expect this
> and would claim it to be a bug if it did otherwise. Maybe we
> should add better method documentation for timed get, and also
> explain a few ways to get non-participatory timeouts.
> For example, creating a new thread to perform the invocation
> and timing out on Thread.join. Suggestions welcome.

Agreed. However, I'd really like the thread management to be handled by the
pool, exactly the way it is done today after trying to help the task in
get():
tryCompensate() / set SIGNAL / wait / incrementActiveCount().
This is in fact doing exactly the managed block that Viktor suggested.

Basically what I need is a version of get(long, TimeUnit) that simply does
not try to help :-)

Thanks!

--
Romain Colle