[concurrency-interest] Single writer multiple readers no barriers -- safe ?

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 22:21:24 EST 2013

AtomicReference.lazySet is the way to go here - on x86 this is just normal
mov instruction with compiler barrier only (StoreStore).  If you don't want
overhead of AtomicReference wrapper (doesn't sound like that would be an
issue) you can get same effect with Unsafe.putObjectOrdered.

I wouldn't worry about AtomicReference.get() performance on x86 - this is a
read from memory but if you read frequently, you'll hit L1 cache anyway.

HTH

Sent from my phone