[concurrency-interest] Single writer multiple readers no barriers -- safe ?

Nitsan Wakart nitsanw at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 29 01:51:41 EST 2013

>From my experience, lazySet is indeed your best choice (but only a valid choice for a single writer). You need a volatile read to match the HB relationship otherwise the compiler is free to optimize the value you read, so someone using your map in a loop may end up stuck if you don't do it.

On Friday, November 29, 2013 5:35 AM, Vitaly Davidovich <vitalyd at gmail.com> wrote:

AtomicReference.lazySet is the way to go here - on x86 this is just normal mov instruction with compiler barrier only (StoreStore).  If you don't want overhead of AtomicReference wrapper (doesn't sound like that would be an issue) you can get same effect with Unsafe.putObjectOrdered.
I wouldn't worry about AtomicReference.get() performance on x86 - this is a read from memory but if you read frequently, you'll hit L1 cache anyway.
HTH
Sent from my phone

Hi all,