[concurrency-interest] ThreadSafe static analysis tool for Java concurrency: now with command-line invocation

Don Sannella d.sannella at contemplateltd.com
Wed Apr 16 10:09:47 EDT 2014

Contemplate has recently released a new version of ThreadSafe, an
advanced static analysis tool that specifically targets Java concurrency
defects and includes some dedicated treatment for java.util.concurrent.
I have previously announced a ThreadSafe plugin for Eclipse on this list
and invited feedback.

New in this release is a command-line version of ThreadSafe which
produces an HTML report with clickable links, giving ways of browsing
findings and relating them to the source code. This makes ThreadSafe
available to people who use IDEs other than Eclipse, and opens the way
to integration with build/CI tools.

We've also done some major surgery on ThreadSafe's analysis algorithms
to improve the accuracy of its results, and made other improvements.

An recent InfoQ article about ThreadSafe, showing examples of
concurrency errors it finds in open source applications including Apache
JMeter and K9Mail, is here:
  www.infoq.com/articles/Java-Concurrency-Static-Analysis-with-ThreadSafe
As far as we've been able to determine, none of the bugs shown are
caught by any other Java static analysis tool.

You can see an example of the output of the command-line interface at:
  download.contemplateltd.com/projects/jmeter-2.10/index.html
This is for the same version of Apache JMeter as was discussed in the
InfoQ article.

You can get a free two-week trial of ThreadSafe Solo (Eclipse plugin and
command-line version) by filling out a simple webform at:
  http://www.contemplateltd.com/try-buy/request-a-trial

A SonarQube plugin is also available for free trial. Please write to me
if interested.

More information is on Contemplate's website:
  www.contemplateltd.com/threadsafe

As before, I'm interested in feedback and hope that you will help to
spread the word!

Best regards,

Don Sannella

Prof. Donald Sannella, Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science,
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, UK
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/dts  dts at inf.ed.ac.uk  +44 131 650 5184

and

Don Sannella                d.sannella at contemplateltd.com
Contemplate Ltd                    www.contemplateltd.com
Appleton Tower, 11 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9LE, UK
tel +44 7939 132117  fax +44 131 6503474  skype dsannella