[concurrency-interest] Blocking vs. non-blocking

Stanimir Simeonoff stanimir at riflexo.com
Thu Aug 7 02:08:58 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 1:25 AM, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean there's a constant ratio between the two numbers, therefore we
> can estimate the magnitude of connections from the number of requests
> per second. We can put a generous upper bound on the ratio at 100
> second, and bet that Google Search maintains less than 10M concurrent
> connections globally

This is true only for http-alike workloads. For instance pushing market
data (stocks/forex) results into hundreds (or thousands) of
packets/messages a second sent per connection and virtually no requests as
the model is largely subscribe and forget. And sometimes it's "forget for
weeks".
In such cases sending the messages would require context switch on each
message which is non-trivial.

Stanimir