[concurrency-interest] Fork/Join Use cases

Kirk Pepperdine kirk at kodewerk.com
Mon Dec 15 11:28:11 EST 2014

> To be honest I think the difference here between Rx and Streams is really one of use case. If you're looking to push data incrementally through your computation pipeline then Rx is the way to go. If you want to pull a batch of data out of something, then compute a value from this then streams are more appropriate.

Indeed! Most business logic is grab crap from DB and filter it… Stream with a terminator seems reasonable for this. However, pipelining with event is a much better more scalable technique IME and for that Streams don’t work.

> I've not noticed Rx to be that much more confusing than Streams from an API point of view - though I think that the way you create Observables can be confusing.

Indeed but then I wouldn’t class you as an average application developer so I’d expect you to not be put off by the complexity.

Regards,
Kirk