[concurrency-interest] Semantics of compareAndSwapX

Hans Boehm boehm at acm.org
Wed Feb 26 13:11:04 EST 2014

I think there's some confusion between the Java memory model requirements
and common implementation techniques based on fences.  The latter are
sufficient to implement the former, but clearly not required.

On x86, a volatile store is normally implemented by adding a trailing fence
to a store.  That fence is required only to prevent reordering with a
subsequent VOLATILE load; it can actually appear anywhere between the
volatile store and the next volatile load.  Putting it before volatile
loads would also work, but is almost always suboptimal.  In a better world,
ABIs would specify one or the other, and both Java and C should follow
those ABIs to ensure interoperability.

But all of these x86 fence placements are gross overkill, in that they
order ALL memory accesses, when they only need to order VOLATILE accesses.

On ARMv8, I would expect a volatile store to be compiled to a store
release, and a volatile load to be compiled to a load acquire.  Period.
 Unlike on Itanium, a release store is ordered with respect to a later
acquire load, so the fence between them should not be needed.  Thus there
is no a priori reason to expect that a CAS would require a fence either.

I would argue strongly that a CAS to a thread-private object should not be
usable as a fence. One of the principles of the Java memory model was that
synchronization on thread-private objects should be ignorable.

I'm hedging a bit here, because the original Java memory model doesn't say
anything about CAS, and I don't fully understand the details of the ARMv8
model, particularly the interaction between acquire/release loads and
stores and traditional ARM fences.

Hans