[concurrency-interest] ThreadLocalRandom clinit troubles

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Wed Jul 2 03:10:42 EDT 2014

On 30/06/2014 10:53 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 30/06/2014 11:02, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> There are a number of bottlenecks throughout the security
>> infrastructure, we have reimplemented it as follows to avoid them and
>> have also addressed some long standing issues:
>>

>> If this code was in the JVM libraries, we wouldn't need it in our
>> project.
>>
> Have you considered bring some of these patches to OpenJDK?

How does one go about it? I'm not on any lists or part of the project.

Perhaps someone could save me some time and review the code first, to
see if it's suitable?

> On RFC 3986 (you mentioned this a number of times) then there were
> previous attempts bring URI up to this, unfortunately had to be backed
> out due to compatibility issues and other breakage. It's definitely
> something that needs to be looked at again.

Yes turns out RFC 3986 is very useful.  Our implementation is strictly
compliant, with the exception of making upper case path comparisons for
file URI's on certain platforms, it's based on Harmony's URI, but has
been refactored with immutability; final class, final fields, isn't
serializable etc.  The parser is called during construction using static
methods.  Exceptions thrown by constructors are thrown by static methods
prior to Object's default constructor being called, to avoid creating
partially constructed objects.

These considerations were important for security.

Regards,

Peter.