[concurrency-interest] changing thread priority on the fly to deschedule zombie thread stuck in socketWrite0

Andy Nuss andrew_nuss at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 11:35:41 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm in the early stage of figuring out why my massive parallelization of S3 SDK usage for storing blobs causes a small percent of my amazon blob puts to loop forever in socketWrite0 without completing due to packet flow control problems with amazon server in the native socket write (sometimes read as well).  Stopping in eclipse debugger and suspending and reactivating such a thread proved to me it is looping in the native call, eating cpu and never finishing.

Though I haven't figured out yet why I'm the only one with this problem with S3 and java, I was wondering if given that interrupting the thread does not abort the native call at all, perhaps I could set the thread to the minimum java thread priority, effectively causing it to starve relative to all other threads in my program, and of course I would replace that zombie thread in the pool.  Deploying on Linux.  Using JDK7.

Andy