[concurrency-interest] changing thread priority on the fly todeschedule zombie thread stuck in socketWrite0

Andy Nuss andrew_nuss at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 05:34:57 EDT 2014

David,

Aside from my lack of knowledge on the mapping and scheduling of java threads to native threads on linux, I already know that a java thread on linux with lower priority before you start it, will starve relative to one with higher priority that is eating cpu, based on both expectation and testing.

For the purposes of this question, I was wondering what happens if on linux, a thread is stuck (looping without exit) in a native socketRead0 or socketWrite0 call (its happening to me and googling indicates its happened to others going back many years).  If from a monitoring thread I lower this "stuck" thread's priority, will it immediately start starving relative to the other functioning threads in the original pool of threads doing the socket calls?

Andy