[concurrency-interest] Measuring and expressing contention

Aaron Grunthal aaron.grunthal at infinite-source.de
Sun Jul 20 22:15:10 EDT 2014

Have you tried the java.util.concurrent.atomic.LongAdder? It's designed
for statistics-keeping in situations where CAS on a single shared
cache-line causes too much contention.

And you should make sure your benchmarking is realistic, the CAS may be
expensive when it dominates your benchmark but could become
significantly less contended when some actual work is performed between
checking out objects from the pool and returning them.