[concurrency-interest] ForkJoinPool not designed for nested Java 8 streams.parallel().forEach( ... )

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Thu May 15 03:50:20 EDT 2014

Hi Christian,

On May 14, 2014, at 10:53 PM, Christian Fries <email at christian-fries.de> wrote:

> Dear Paul.
>

>> :-) I think what you have now with CPU burning is more relevant and also different from where you started. Have you tried writing a jmh benchmark instead? i would recommend doing so if you want to further explore the performance characteristics.
>>

> I wrote a JMH benchmark, but micro-benchmarking is not the right tool to show the impact of that bug, since the micro-benchmarks will capture „microscopic“ things like thread creation overhead, etc.
> whereas the problem appears on the larger scale.

From http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/ :

  JMH is a Java harness for building, running, and analysing nano/micro/milli/macro benchmarks written in Java and other languages targetting the JVM.

i.e. M can be "Micro" | "Macro" or generally "Measurement"

It takes away the hassle of writing code for measurement/reporting/execution and makes it much easier for others to review the code/results and also execute.

Paul.