[concurrency-interest] Proposal for a CallerRunsExecutor in j.u.c.Executors

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat May 24 14:03:04 EDT 2014

On 05/23/2014 08:05 PM, Luke Sandberg wrote:
> Guava has an Executor instance called MoreExecutors.sameThreadExecutor
> <http://docs.guava-libraries.googlecode.com/git/javadoc/com/google/common/util/concurrent/MoreExecutors.html#sameThreadExecutor()>
>
> For Guava users it is very popular for passing to APIs like
> ListenableFuture.addListener and other Executor accepting utilities for when the
> task will be quick enough that it isn't worth submitting to a thread pool.
>
> There was recently a performance bug reported against it:
> https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/issues/detail?id=1734
>
> This led to us reconsider the implementation in Guava and then thinking that
> maybe this should even be a j.u.c.Executors feature.

The class has been sitting there under the name DirectExecutor
since JDK5 as a code example in the Executors javadoc.
(See
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/java/util/concurrent/Executor.html)
We even discussed putting it (as well as the other code example,
ThreadPerTaskExecutor) in Executors but for some reason decided
they weren't important enough. But they are important in that
standardizing their names and usage will save people work.
So I can't think of a reason not to do this, even if a decade
too late for most purposes. Any objections to using these names?

>     MoreExecutors.newCallerRunsExecutorService():
>        which would be identical to the current sameThreadExecutor() (which
>     includes shutdown semantics)

I gather that this one uses a Lock just to support the
awaitTermination method? (Otherwise it would need only
a volatile boolean shutdown bit.) It does seem like a niche usage,
but maybe someone could make a case for including it.

-Doug