[concurrency-interest] Here's why Atomic*FieldReference access checking is broken

Vladimir Ivanov vladimir.x.ivanov at oracle.com
Wed Oct 8 11:41:37 EDT 2014

> Just by moving the nested
> AtomicIntegerFieldUpdater.AtomicIntegerFieldUpdaterImpl class to
> java.lang.invoke package, annotating the final instance fields 'tclass',
> 'cclass' and 'offset' with @Stable annotation and simplifying the
> invocation check, I get the same benchmark results. Why are those JVM
> pearls so hidden in the java.lang.invoke package?
Mostly because they are not ready for prime time yet.
There's a draft proposal for "lazy final" fields [1], but it hasn't been
submitted officially yet. It covers part of the functionality provided
by @Stable (fields, but not arrays).

Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/draft/lazy-final.html