[concurrency-interest] Draft guidelines on parallelism in java.util.streams

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue Sep 2 15:06:13 EDT 2014

On 09/02/2014 06:39 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

> Nice to see this guideline posted! It's a question we get asked a bit in London,
> some quick feedback.
>
> * Would be good to have concrete code examples of F (side effect free vs side
> effect)

Yes, although there are some in the linked java.util.stream package javadocs
(http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/stream/package-summary.html).
Suggestions for more examples that immediately get the point across would be
welcome.

> * N,Q,F example - would be good to have the formula (and a concrete example)
> split out from the body of the text
> * Splitability - could present this as a table?

I worry a little about mentioning all JDK collections in a table,
since some Spliterators might change or improve over time. This might be
good fodder for a cheat-sheet somewhere though.

> There's a bunch of minor spelling, grammar and formatting things as well - If
> there's a source file I can annotate with comments, happy to add suggested fixes
> there?

Thanks to others I did an edit pass fixing some of these, but please
let me know of others in any way you like. (Including just via
edited saved html).

-Doug