[concurrency-interest] jdk9 VarHandle and Fence methods

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Mon Aug 31 08:12:03 EDT 2015

On 31 Aug 2015, at 13:02, thurstonn <thurston at nomagicsoftware.com> wrote:

> So I'm still not clear on the implementation of VarHandles, et al.
>
> 1.  Do each of the methods have a corresponding Unsafe method?

Yes, they will.

> 2.  Is each method "marked intrinsic"?
>
> Looking at  this
> <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/hotspot/file/tip/src/share/vm/classfile/vmSymbols.hpp>
> , I don't see compareAndExchangeXXX, e.g. listed

We need to update the sandbox branch implementation to support the agreed set of methods.

  http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/sandbox/hotspot/file/1c261c6f6c3d/src/share/vm/classfile/vmSymbols.hpp

(You can see some already, such as _weakCompareAndSwapObjectAcquire.)

At some point what is in the sandbox branch implementation will wind it’s way into the JDK 9 dev repo.

Paul.