Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 07:56:30 EST 2015

> I can see a few reasons against extending `this` lifetime at this stage of
> java's life, but what were the objections last time(s) this came up?

Basically twofold.  Mostly efficiency, but also a reluctance to change
long-settled language semantics.  Making changes to something as
fundamental as this is always much tricker than people expect.  The
great advantage of reachabilityFence is that we can do it without a
lot of complex argument and politics.

Andrew.