David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Thu Dec 10 19:08:27 EST 2015

Justin Sampson writes:

> > > Is this your view of the existing world, or what you are
> > > proposing be changed? I'm losing track of what's what in this
> > > discussion. :-)
> >
> > This is how the existing world should have been if the JLS update
> > had not been snafu'd. Justin would argue it should be the current
> > state regardless due to happens-before definition. Regardless the
> > JVM does not currently implement this.
>
> Jeremy Manson seemed to think it had been implemented this way,
> based on the happens-before wording, back in 2010:
>
> http://jeremymanson.blogspot.com/2010/01/garbage-collection-
> references.html

He certainly believed it was implemented this way - see the comments:

"@Sanjay - that is the right concept, although the VM has to do some magic
to prevent the finalizer from running before the constructor finishes."

But only Jeremy can answer whether that was based on the happens-before
wording or the explicit statement that got dropped from the JLS.

David
-----