[concurrency-interest] jdk9 VarHandle and Fence methods

Hans Boehm boehm at acm.org
Tue Sep 15 01:16:07 EDT 2015

> How does it slow down lock()?

It depends on the precise guarantee you provide, and I suspect this thread
didn't quite agree on that.  The most natural one is that the succeeding
lock acquisition happens before the failed trylock().  That implies that if
we have

x = 1;
lock();

those can't be reordered by the hardware, since a failing trylock() would
have to see the assignment to x.  That requires a fence between them on ARM
or Power.

I think the right way to think of trylock(), at least informally, is as
allowing spurious failures. I.e. trylock() is allowed to behave as though
the lock was held when it isn't.  You thus can't conclude anything about
other threads from the fact that it failed.  In this view you don't have to
think about memory ordering issues when reasoning about correctness, you
just reason about spurious failures instead.

If your code is robust against unknown, e.g. debugger, threads acquiring
the lock now and then, then it must be robust against this sort of spurious
failure.  If the lock is really used only to provide mutual exclusion, this
should not affect correctness.