[concurrency-interest] jdk9 VarHandle and Fence methods

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:26:17 EDT 2015

You'd differentiate via whatever protocol is chosen by implementation, i.e.
some state that would be set to signal phase changes.  The closest analog
is code using CAS, successful or not, to piggyback ordering for surrounding
memory ops.  I gave an example upthread where threads compete to get
exclusive right to close a socket using tryLock; one thread wins and closes
the socket, and losers skip closing the socket but proceed to use memory
set inside unlock().  It's a semi contrived example since normally you'd
use a CAS for something like this, but it illustrates the gist of what I'm
getting at.  Of course you can solve these situations using dedicated
atomic (or otherwise threadsafe) state, but perhaps one wants to piggyback
on existing critical section's fences and not add additional ones.

sent from my phone