[concurrency-interest] deadline and long overflow

Peter Veentjer alarmnummer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 06:05:09 EDT 2016

I have a question regarding dealing with deadlines and long overflow.

For example the following from the SynchronousQueue:

final long deadline = timed ? System.nanoTime() + nanos : 0L;

What would happen if someone calls queue.offer(item, Long.MAX_VALUE, NANOS)
then deadline overflows and becomes negative. I see the same approach in
other parts e.g.

this.deadline = timed ? System.nanoTime() + nanos : 0L;

from the Phaser. Personally I like the simplicity; but my concern is
regarding validity.