[concurrency-interest] Single-threaded ForkJoinPool

cowwoc cowwoc at bbs.darktech.org
Fri Feb 5 22:18:33 EST 2016

Hi,

Is this the correct mailing list for discussing ForkJoinPool in JDK9? If
not, please point me to the right place.

I have a feature request for ForkJoinPool which doesn't seem to be possible
to implement without a JDK change: http://stackoverflow.com/q/34012134/14731

Specifically, I need to be able to an application that uses Random and
ForkJoinPool in a deterministic manner when debugging/profiling but run
full-speed in normal execution mode. I have all the moving parts nailing
down except for ForkJoinPool.

If I create ForkJoinPool with a parallelism of 1, sometimes I see two worker
threads getting used. I am guessing that this is caused by
ForkJoinTask.get() invoking ForkJoinPool.common.externalHelpComplete(), but
maybe something else is going on.

Is there a way for me to guarantee that ForkJoinThread will use exactly 1
worker thread, no less, no more? Would you like me to file a formal feature
request?

Thank you,
Gili