[concurrency-interest] Flow API tools for working with cold observables

Dávid Karnok akarnokd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 06:48:16 EST 2016

Popular reactive libraries have converters / ports to j.u.c.Flow already so
you have the option to work with a plethora of operators over cold sources:

https://github.com/akarnokd/RxJavaUtilConcurrentFlow
https://github.com/reactor/reactor-core/blob/master/src/main/java/reactor/core/converter/FlowPublisherConverter.java

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there are any plans on creating some intermediary working
> between a
> publisher and a subscriber that would take care of buffering? I believe it
> might
> become a common need for Flow API adopters as it seems to represent a
> highly
> reusable component. As I understand, j.u.c.SubmissionPublisher is not
> particularly good for working with "cold" observables. It provides
> buffering but
> for a different reason and it also relies on "drop handling and/or
> blocking" for
> flow control. I don't think any of these options are particularly good when
> working with cold observables in a non-blocking fashion.
>
> What is needed in its essence is a some kind of "elastic coupling" working
> between 2 subscribers that effectively manages a steady flow of items
> prefetching them (if stock drops below some level) from the input side and
> transferring them to the output side.
>
> -Pavel

Best regards,
David Karnok