[concurrency-interest] Multicore Locks: The Case Is Not Closed Yet - USENIX 2016 ATC

Kimo Crossman kimo at webnetic.net
Thu Jul 14 16:00:07 EDT 2016

https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc16/technical-sessions/presentation/guiroux

Multicore Locks: The Case Is Not Closed Yet   - USENIX 2016 ATC

Authors:

Hugo Guiroux and Renaud Lachaize, *Université Grenoble Alpes and
Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble;* Vivien Quéma, *Université Grenoble
Alpes, Grenoble Institute of Technology, and Laboratoire d'Informatique de
Grenoble*

Abstract:

NUMA multicore machines are pervasive and many multithreaded applications
are suffering from lock contention. To mitigate this issue, application and
library developers can choose from the plethora of optimized mutex lock
algorithms that have been designed over the past 25 years. Unfortunately,
there is currently no broad study of the behavior of these optimized lock
algorithms on realistic applications. In this paper, we fill this gap. We
perform a performance study of 19 state-of-the-art mutex lock algorithms on
36 realistic applications. Our study shows that regarding locking on
multicore machines, the case is not closed yet. Indeed, our conclusions
include the following findings: (i) no single lock is the best for more
than 50% of the studied workloads; (ii) every lock is harmful for several
applications, even if the application parallelism is properly tuned; (iii)
for several applications, the optimal lock changes when varying the number
of applications or the workload. These findings call for further research
on optimized lock algorithms and dynamic adaptation of contention management

Slides and paper below
https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc16/technical-sessions/presentation/guiroux