[concurrency-interest] Ordering Question

Aleksey Shipilev aleksey.shipilev at oracle.com
Wed Jul 20 05:55:35 EDT 2016

On 07/20/2016 12:48 PM, Alex Otenko wrote:
>> If X = 1 is a putOrdered/lazySet/release store, then total
>> synchronization order is out of the picture. It is actually hard
>> to reason about the acq/rel outcomes in the realm of plain JMM, but
>> here is a try. release-acquire brings a happens-before. Let's see
>> if we can construct a plausible execution that reads (0, 0) and is
>> consistent with JMM.
>
> Since hb for putOrdered/laziSet aren’t specified in JMM, can you show
> which happens-before is brought by release-acquire here? (Or in
> general which ones are introduced? I have an idea what that might
> relate to, but need a rubber-stamped statement)

putOrdered/lazySet/release are not defined in JMM, so there is no
possibility for a rubber-stamped statement. I am using the closest
interpretation that is consistent with it's effect I can come by:
release-acquire brings happens-before, but not synchronization order.

See e.g. here:
  http://cs.oswego.edu/pipermail/concurrency-interest/2016-March/015037.html
  http://cs.oswego.edu/pipermail/concurrency-interest/2016-May/015104.html

Thanks,