[concurrency-interest] Reusing CompletableFuture

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sun Jul 24 17:27:49 EDT 2016

On 07/24/2016 04:20 PM, Pavel Rappo wrote:
> Viktor has suggested using CS instead of CF. What Martin has asked is
> whether it makes sense to have something which is-a CompletableFuture
> but without the "obtrude" logic.

And others have had other opinions about exactly which methods
to allow in read-only-ish contexts (googling will find 4 different
discussions on this list). So for jdk9, we predefine the most minimal
one, and make it relatively easy to define others. So I think we
have all the possibilities covered; some more easily by users
than others. See the example in class-level javadocs:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/java/util/concurrent/CompletableFuture.html

-Doug