[concurrency-interest] JDK 9 Flow javadoc example SampleSubscriber requesting

Dávid Karnok akarnokd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:48:25 EDT 2016

Hi Doug and thanks for the reply.

I wish I could offer a better sentence but I'm always struggling with
explaining such things in our javadocs as well. All I can suggest is to
have the unbounded example before the bounded example so people really
needing bounded tips can continue reading while most people can stop at the
unbounded example.

> On 09/24/2016 10:08 AM, Dávid Karnok wrote:
>
>> Given a synchronous end-consumer Flow.Subscriber of a Flow.Publisher,
>> generally
>> there is no reason to request in parts/batches and almost all should be
>> able to
>> request Long.MAX_VALUE at the beginning.
>>

> The UnboundedSubscriber code example shows this usage, prefaced with
>
> "...when flow control is never needed, a subscriber may initially request
> an effectively unbounded number of items..."
>
> Suggestions for improving that sentence would be welcome. But
> I'm not sure we can/should say anything in top-level specs
> about the situations in which "flow control is never needed".
> Even some synchronous cases might use buffering.
>
> -Doug

Best regards,
David Karnok