[concurrency-interest] Programming language-independent memory models

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Aug 10 06:03:56 EDT 2017

On 10/08/17 09:42, Stuart Monteith wrote:
> Hello,
>   We sort of already have a programming language independent memory
> model, which is the Java memory model applied on to the other
> languages the JVM can host.

Sort of, I suppose, but it depends on how the language is mapped on
to bytecode.  It's a start.

> Furthermore, with Graal, is there more
> scope now for there to be issues with ported languages?

That's up to the people using Graal to run other languages.  Graal
follows the JMM in its middle end (or at least doesn't transform
conforming code into non-conforming code) but front ends don't have to
do so.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer