[concurrency-interest] On park and unpark

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 13:28:30 EDT 2017

On 25/08/17 18:01, Nathan and Ila Reynolds wrote:
> Last I heard (and this is old hearing), unpark() had to acquire the
> mutex before checking the park permit flag.  From the sound of it, using
> futex directly would allow for checking the park permit flag without
> acquiring the mutex.  Hence, fewer atomic operations (i.e. no need to
> acquire and release the mutex).  However, I could be very wrong since I
> have never dug into the details and I am only working off of hearsay.

Here's now it works now:

void Parker::park(bool isAbsolute, jlong time) {

  // Optional fast-path check:
  // Return immediately if a permit is available.
  // We depend on Atomic::xchg() having full barrier semantics
  // since we are doing a lock-free update to _counter.
  if (Atomic::xchg(0, &_counter) > 0) return;

... stuff with timers and thread interrupts ...

  // Don't wait if cannot get lock since interference arises from
  // unblocking.  Also. check interrupt before trying wait
  if (Thread::is_interrupted(thread, false) ||
      os::Solaris::mutex_trylock(_mutex) != 0) {
    return;
  }

  if (_counter > 0)  { // no wait needed
    _counter = 0;
    status = os::Solaris::mutex_unlock(_mutex);
    assert(status == 0, "invariant");
    // Paranoia to ensure our locked and lock-free paths interact
    // correctly with each other and Java-level accesses.
    OrderAccess::fence();
    return;

  // Do this the hard way by blocking ...
  // See http://monaco.sfbay/detail.jsf?cr=5094058.
  if (time == 0) {
    status = os::Solaris::cond_wait(_cond, _mutex);
  } else {
    status = os::Solaris::cond_timedwait (_cond, _mutex, &absTime);
  }

But even if we had had to lock the mutex to read the _counter, it's
just a CAS which would always succeed unless we were being unparked.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer