[concurrency-interest] On park and unpark

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 16:34:14 EDT 2017

On 25/08/17 20:12, David Dice wrote:
> When I've floated the idea direct futex usage, folks have expressed concern
> about the portability & stability of the interface over the wide range of
> supported linux distributions.

I suspect that concern is unjustified.  The interface between the
kernel and libc is, if anything, more stable than that between libc
and users' code.  There is no possibility of anyone breaking the
futex interface, but it all depends on how far back you want to go.

> This strikes me as a reasonable concern.
> (We prefer "PRIVATE" for instance, but do all targeted distributions
> support that flavor?).

Mmm, okay, you're worried about ancient kernels.  Seems unlikely,
but I take your point.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer