[concurrency-interest] On park and unpark

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Sat Aug 26 05:03:22 EDT 2017

On 25/08/17 23:29, David Holmes wrote:

> We've been trying to consolidate and share as much common code as
> possible on "posix" supporting platforms and recently refactored
> things to share the PlatformEvent and Parker code (8174231). So to
> me there would have to be a big win in using futex directly to
> justify using a custom implementation.

That seems rather surprising to me: HotSpot has always allowed (nay,
even encouraged) back ends to use custom code for performance reasons,
and has never insisted that there must be a "big win".  At least as
long as I can remember.  If there's been a change of policy in this
area it should be up for discussion.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer