[concurrency-interest] Fwd: Should I avoid compareAndSet with value-based classes?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 13:29:52 EDT 2017

On 07/07/17 18:02, Gil Tene wrote:

> And in some cases locking (on something other than the reference to
> the value-based class) will be perfectly sufficient. But in cases
> where people seek lock-free or wait-free operations, locking may not
> be an acceptable thing. E.g. Clocks and Instants are starting to
> show up in the low latency paths of FinServ software due to MiFID 2
> requirements, and that sort of code often tries to avoid locking
> like the plague…

Mmm, but then the question is whether something like this is more
performant than locking:

>     public void add(final Duration amountToAdd) {
>         boolean success;
>         do {
>             BoxedInstant currentBoxedInstance = instantHolder.get();
>             BoxedInstant newBoxedInstant =
>                     new BoxedInstant(currentBoxedInstance.getInstant().plus(amountToAdd));
>             success = instantHolder.compareAndSet(currentBoxedInstance, newBoxedInstant);
>         } while (!success);
>     }

I'd argue that it's may well not be, because in the mostly-uncontended
case acquiring a lock will sail straight through with no significant
delay -- certainly no more than the compareAndSet we see here.  In the
highly-contended case, locking may be preferable to the inter-thread
thrashing this CAS loop might cause.  At least one of the threads
would acquire the lock, and at least one of them would make some
forward progress.  And the readers would be simpler and faster.  The
lock used could be a fast spinlock: it doesn't have to block at the OS
level.  But to know for sure you'd have to measure some real
application behaviour.

And the meta-question is whether people who avoid locking like the
plague, even when it really is the simplest and cleanest thing to do,
are doing it for good reasons or following a cargo cult.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer