Alex Otenko oleksandr.otenko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:22:37 EDT 2017

A type with no identity certainly is a frankentype. I don’t see why the poor specification needs to be taken to its extreme interpretation. Conceptual clarity is more important than saving CPU cycles.

Having a type that is reified as something that does not have “a unique address” in memory (that we understand as the identity of Objects) is different from “no identity”.

Being unable to use “value type” instances for synchronization is perfectly reasonable - in the end, you aren’t meant to synchronize using random objects, and the whole purpose of supporting synchronization on every object is to ease construction of thread-safe code (through declaration of synchronized methods). If "the thing” is immutable, there is no need to support synchronization on those specific instances, and choosing such instances as the means of synchronizing something else requires justification, even if “the thing” subclasses from Object.

Restricting the meaning of identityHashCode is questionable, but in the end hinges on whether “the thing” is a subclass of an Object or not. If it is, then there are ways to support identityHashCode - even if there is no notion of “a unique address”.

Restricting the use of "==“ because of some compiler optimizations, is inventing obstacles. I don’t see why compiler problems of this sort should leak into the application programmer’s life, especially in the form of RandomExceptions and heisenbugs.

Alex