[concurrency-interest] Queue with interrupt

Jochen Theodorou blackdrag at gmx.org
Wed May 17 02:15:05 EDT 2017

Hi all,

yesterday I was looking for a certain behaviour, but was not finding one
and I am wondering if I did overlook something.

Situation:

I have 1 Thread - lets call it worker, that needs to execute a series of
tasks. If there are no tasks this thread has to wait for a maximum of 5
seconds. After this time I have to send something like an update from
this thread (has to be the same thread) to later continue on waiting for
tasks or handle the new ones. At this point I will not car if processing
the tasks takes longer than 5 seconds. And now the specialty: A second
thread must be able to send an interrupt to the worker thread, which
than has to stop waiting for new jobs and send the update right away, to
then get back to waiting for jobs. I cannot send the update from the
interrupting thread.

Now I was expecting to find something in a Queue implementation, but
while I did find a way to wait for new elements, I did not find a wait
to interrupt that waiting. We solved this by using a BlockingQueue, plus
some signaling, but it really does not feel right to me.

Any idea how to do this better?

bye Jochen