Alex Otenko oleksandr.otenko at gmail.com
Sat May 27 18:26:31 EDT 2017

Not sure what you mean by “acting as a fence” being broken.

There’s probably even more code that relies on atomicity of CAS - that is, when the write happened on successful CAS, it happened atomically with the read; it constitutes a single operation in the total order of all volatile stores.

int x=0; // non-volatile
volatile int z=0;
volatile boolean b=false;

Thread1:
if (CAS(z, 0, 1)) {
  if (x == 0) {
    b=true;
    CAS(z, 1, 2);
return x;

Thread2:
x=1;
if (!CAS(z, 0, 2)) {
  return b;
}
return true;

In essence, if CAS failure is caused by a real mismatch of z (not a spurious failure), then we can guarantee there is a return 1 or a further CAS in the future from the point of the first successful CAS (by program order), and we can get a witness b whether that CAS is in the future from the point of the failing CAS (by total order of operations).

If failing CAS in Thread2 does not have store semantics, then nothing in Thread1 synchronizes-with it, and Thread1 is not guaranteed to return 1 even if Thread2 returns false.

If failing CAS in Thread2 does have store semantics, then if Thread2 returns false, Thread1 returns 1.

Not sure what you mean by “real programming concerns”. It sounds a bit like “true Scotsman”. The concern I am trying to convey, is that Java 8 semantics offer a very strong CAS that can be used to enforce mutual exclusion using a single CAS call, and that this can be combined with inductive types to produce strong guarantees of correctness. Having set the field right, I can make sure most contenders execute less than a single CAS after mutation. Sounds real enough concern to me :)

Anyhow, I also appreciate that most designs do not look that deep into the spec, and won’t notice the meaning getting closer to the actual hardware trends. If Java 8 CAS semantics gets deprecated, the algorithm will become obsolete, and will need modification with extra fences in the proprietary code that needs it, or whatever is not broken in the new JMM that will lay the memory semantics of CAS to rest.

Alex