[concurrency-interest] Low-latency pause in JDK

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat Oct 26 15:37:24 EDT 2019

On 10/26/19 2:42 PM, Francesco Nigro via Concurrency-interest wrote:
>> For example, I have later removed
> nearly every occurrence of Thread.yield() in any code I've written after
> finding something better or more general
>
> OT: Just curious, where? :)

Notice for example that as of the rewrites last summer, there are none
in all of java.util.concurrent.locks.*

Much further off-topic, I was reminded of this when seeing "Ants Are
Practically Immune to Traffic Jams" courtesy of Hacker News a few days
ago (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21352345)
https://www.sciencealert.com/ant-roads-are-practically-immune-to-traffic-jams-even-when-it-gets-crowded

Perhaps we can devise some pheromone-based synchronization primitives...

-Doug