[concurrency-interest] pthread_cond_signal/await

Francesco Nigro nigro.fra at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 02:12:05 EST 2020

Hi folks,

I've noticed that some concurrent primitives employees mixed strategies
before parking threads.
I am aware of the Linux kernel mechanism of pthread_cond_signal/wait and
the stealthy issue about the contention around futex buckets, but I would
like to understand if there are academic papers or just some article to
explain the motivation of such strategies and how the effectiveness is
being ensured given the very different OSes and architectures supported.

In addition, I see that FJ has dropped the spin before parking threads,
while SynchronousQueue still use it and I don't understand why...

Many thanks,
Franz