[concurrency-interest] ThreadPoolExecutor - cancel rejected tasks with Discard*Policy?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sun Feb 16 09:41:28 EST 2020

On 2/14/20 3:06 PM, JanecekPetr at seznam.cz wrote:
> Looks like the opinions so far have been split almost evenly.

This is what happens when we agree that we regret a small decision made
many years ago; there is rarely a great solution. Probably we'll just
add documentation. See the draft embedded example at:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/java.base/java/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor.DiscardOldestPolicy.html

Plus a few added sentences in TPE documentation
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/java.base/java/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor.html

We could add @Deprecated(forRemoval=false), but I'm not sure how much
this would help. There are a few legitimate uses for it, and that code
would now encounter warnings.

Comments still welcome.

-Doug