[concurrency-interest] ForkJoin refresh

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat Jan 18 09:07:08 EST 2020

On 1/17/20 4:54 PM, Dr Heinz M. Kabutz wrote:
> Thanks Doug - how different is this to the Java 14-EA version?  I

One thing you might notice is the lack of performance oddities when
tasks unblock but GC hasn't yet unbiased locks. Also better behaved when
a bunch of exceptions are thrown by tasks. Also less flailing with
relatively slow streams of incoming tasks. Plus the other improvements I
mentioned

> noticed the ManagedBlocker implementation today whilst showing the
> Condition.await() implementation to a class I was teaching and even
> tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/heinzkabutz/status/1218204292626243585

Right. I had forgotten that because few people use non-LTS JDKs, most
haven't seen that blocking on BlockingQueues etc, along with most other
j.u.c locking/sync work better especially in FJ programs.

-Doug