[concurrency-interest] Java Memory Model and ParallelStream

Luke Hutchison luke.hutch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 09:35:16 EST 2020

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020, 7:15 AM Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:

> The CPU *hardware* does this all the time. Few processors have a
> total store order: x86, which does, is the exception here.

Well that gets at my core question: whether a computational barrier always
strictly enforces memory happens-before ordering across the barrier, i.e.
whether a computational barrier is always also a memory ordering barrier.

If the CPU does not have a total store order, I could imagine cases where a
computational barrier does not enforce memory ordering. What am I missing?